|Academic Standards for
How the Midwest Was Won
Fourth Grade Standards
Nebraska Language Arts
4.1.4 By the end of the fourth grade, students will identify the resource appropriate for a specific purpose, and use the resource to locate information.
- Use general reference materials (dictionary, thesaurus, encyclopedia, atlas, telephone book, almanac).
- Use electronic resources (CD-ROM, software programs, online resources).
- Use library resources (card or electronic catalog).
- Identify and use parts of a book (title page, table of contents, glossary, index).
4.1.7 By the end of the fourth grade, students will identify and apply knowledge of the text structure and organizational elements to analyze nonfiction or informational text.
- Identify the structure of nonfiction (e.g. question/answer, cause/effect, sequence, comparison/contrast, problem/solution, description).
- Identify organizational elements of nonfiction texts (e.g. headings, subheadings, italics, bold print, captions).
- Ask how, why, and what-if questions in interpreting nonfiction text.
- Distinguish between fact and opinion.
- Follow written directions.