|Academic Standards for
I've Got the Blues!
Eighth Grade Standards
National Association for Music Education Standards
Content Standard 4 Composing and arranging music within specified guidelines.
- Students will compose short pieces within specified guidelines, 2 demonstrating how the elements of music are used to achieve unity and variety, tension and release, and balance;
- arrange simple pieces for voices or instruments other than those for which the pieces were written;
- use a variety of traditional and nontraditional sound sources and electronic media when composing and arranging.
Content Standard 9 Understanding music in relation to history and culture.
- Students will describe distinguishing characteristics of representative music genres and styles from a variety of cultures;
- classify by genre and style (and, if applicable, by historical period, composer, and title) a varied body of exemplary (that is, high-quality and characteristic) musical works and explain the characteristics that cause each work to be considered exemplary;
- compare, in several cultures of the world, functions music serves, roles of musicians, and conditions under which music is typically performed.